Being a parent your child’s health is very important. Choosing a pediatrician for your children and building a strong relationship with the doctor is one of the best things you can do for your children’s health.
During the first year of a newborn baby, you need to visit the hospital many times and this is the main reason to choose the right pediatrician for your child. Though you feel a little stressed to make the choice, but by doing little homework and asking for references from friends and other family members should make your choice easier.
While choosing a pediatrician you need to follow a few basic things:
- Choose a pediatrician who is close to your place- the first thing you need to check is whether the pediatrician is at a nearby locality so that taking a sick child out of the house and drive to the hospital should be easy.
- Availability of the doctor- check with the hospital regarding the doctor’s availability and flexibility of time. If you are working parents it is not very comfortable to bring the child during regular business hours. For instance, at Ovum hospital the pediatrician is available at all times. In the night, an emergency pediatric doctor will be available for any kind of critical issues.
- Experience- parents trust doctors for their children. Therefore you need to ensure that the doctor is approachable enough and handles questions and apprehensions in the right spirit. You need to check the comfort factor, whether the doctor is patient enough to listen and understand the concerns of the parents.
- Effective communication skills- A pediatrician who is from a reputed institute are likely to have better knowledge. Enquire about years of experience. Moreover, pediatricians may be affiliated to many hospitals and clinics. Considering all these factors, it may give you an idea of the quality of the doctors.
- Ask other parents- when you visit different hospitals for pediatricians, don’t hesitate to chat with other parents there. It will give you the sense of their feeling about the doctor, practice and overall environment.
While choosing the doctor you also check on the facilities available in the hospital and are they equipped with all the latest devices. It is also very important to check how the child is responding to the medication provided by a particular doctor. The selection of pediatricians and deciding upon changes is a challenge and it has to be well discussed before doing.